Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Midsummer Nightmare: I Am Feared in Field and Town(????)

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Yes, there was no typo... you read it right! "A Midsummer NIGHTMARE!" A spin off from the play A Midsummer Night's Dream. My friend Cody Mercer and I thought of the name title. It's a good play on words... as well as Shakesfeare was. I was thinking of also naming it "A Midsummer Night of the Living Dead" and have it be themed based on making all the characters Walkers, but for the sake of flourished popularity and limited imagination, I have decided to keep the word "Nightmare" in its rightful place. The reason being is so that it can be any type of nightmare that will literally make our imaginations go wild!

In this play there are a lot of fairies, elves, pixies, etc... etc... What I've decided to do is make each folklore-like character as scary as humanly possible. They will have sharp pointed ears, the same goes for their teeth. They will have eye contacts of various kinds with a bone-chilling feel with their creepy glances. Their hair, as well as their costumes, will depend on the character's. I want to have about 7-10 of these characters. Their purposes will be scaring the tour guides by jumping out randomly from their dark places.

Puck is a well-known character in the play. He is described as being a mischievous "Robin Goodfellow". Now the word "Robin" can also mean Hobgoblin in ancient folklore. If you know anything about Spider-Man's enemy The Hobgoblin, he is not all "fun and friendly" but rather a "fiendish foe". I want to base Puck as the Hobgoblin, so that he can not only keep his mischievous role, but add on to it with his gruesome appearance.

Another well-known character from the play is Nick Bottom. I find it ironic that his last name is a foreshadow of what he will become... which is an ass. Yes, it is a play on words, and I think Shakespeare intentionally did that for that reason.
Anyway, in the play, Bottom get's his head turned into a donkey by "Robin Goodfellow" himself. This is a bit of a stretch, but it kinda reminded me of Wolfman's transformation. I want to have 4 versions of Bottom.

The first one will be just a normal human that is a tour guide with other characters from the play, who will lead the group until Puck throws pixy dust on Bottom. He will begin the transformation by making donkey sounds and disappear in the darkness.
The second and third one will come out of the darkness(in different times and loactions) looking like they are slowly turning into a donkey.
The fourth one will have the complete donkey head. The other tour guides will be scared and run away, taking their group with them.
The tour guide Tom Snout will say, "Bottom thou art changed! What do I see on thee?"
Tour guide Peter Quince will say, "Bless me! Thou art translated!"
As the guides are running away Bottom says, "Why do they run away? I see their knavery. This is to make an ass of me."
With this scene, it will not only be scary but also a comic relief for when the tour group leaves the SUU auditorium.

No comments:

Post a Comment