Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Alas, Poor Yorick! I Knew Him...

Last semester for the Shakesfeare project we were thinking of having an extra character in the event. This character was Yorick.
You may not have heard a whole lot about this character, but you've probably seen him briefly in Hamlet... well at least his skull ha. But you probably don't know his back story.

Well, allow me to educate you. Yorick was Hamlet's Court Jester during his youth. I was thinking... Court Jesters are closely associated to another comical character, that for some odd reason, strikes fear into the tender hearts of all ages. Yes, you guessed it. CLOWNS!

If you have seen Hamlet, you may recall a scene where Hamlet and his friend Horatio are at a graveyard talking to a gravedigger, and to their surprise, one of the graves laid "poor Yorick". Hamlet takes the skull of Yorick and contemplates the memories that he shared with the Court Jester.

What I want to try to do is obviously bring Yorick back from the dead as an Undead Court Jester! But instead of the regular clown face paint, I want to make Yorick more scary by making his clown face paint also look like a skull. Much like the The Day of the Dead skull face painting. After all, his skull is one of the memorable icons in Hamlet. I am reminded of a scene from the movie Zombieland where the character Columbus says that he fears clowns more than he fears zombies. But once he was faced with a "zombie-clown" he had to either "Nut-up or Shut up!"

This is what I would like to do with Yorick. I want to have Hamlet be a tour guide with Horatio. They will lead the group to a graveyard(it will be a room full of tombstones and fog). Hamlet will pick up a skull, bring it up to eye level, and say "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, [I knew him!]" I little Buddy the Elf humor for ya! After Hamlet says that, he is then cut off by a disturbing sound from the dark corners of the room. The group will be drawn to the sound, but won't be able to find the source. Little will the group know... Yorick will be on the opposite side from where the sound is coming from. While the group is inching closer to the sound. Yorick will be closing in on them... waiting for the group to finally realize that their greatest fear is right behind them!;)

Here are some ideas of what I would like Yorick to look like:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment